(Source: Wikipedia)
The reception took place at The Westin Paris - Vendôme, and, wow. Just wow. It felt like the kind of building that Ian and I had been paying entrance fees to visit on our trip, and turns out, that was not far off at all. It had been build in 1873 by Henri Blondel, the son-in-law of Charles Garnier (who built Opera Garnier). Designed to be the most luxurious hotel in Paris, it took up a full city block and was the largest hotel in Paris for many decades.
The bride and groom made a spectacular entrance with surprise fireworks (which not even the bride had known about), a live drummer, and a live singer. The dance floor opened before the first dance took place as Joyce and Gilles invited everyone to join their grand entrance. The meal was delicious, bread plates were refilled the moment they were emptied (okay, I may have been a bit obsessed with this level of hospitality), and much laughter and dancing was had.
This would be our last night in Paris, before departing on a trail to London the next morning, and then onward from there to Edinburgh. A few things of Paris to note that did not end up in earlier posts:
1) I did indeed see two cats! That's it. That's all. Many dogs, but the cats were lacking despite our travels across the city. And the first one I saw wouldn't even deign to look at me.
2) Of course I ate baguettes and delicious cheese. On more than one occasion delicious baguettes turned into sandwiches were for lunch, and every morning the hotel we stayed at had a delightful selection of cheese, meat, and croissants to start me off on a delicious day.
3) I started noticing these little tiled pixilated images in our neighbourhood in Paris, and it wasn't long before Ian and I were spotting them around the city. Searching online I found that the trend of creating this art was popularized in the 1990s by a French street artist named Invader. However, I don't know if any of these are Invader's work, if they are meant to be related, or just individual and delightful little works of art.
























No comments:
Post a Comment